Prior to travelling to Australia, scholarship recipients must:
- meet the minimum English language requirement of their chosen Australian university (usually IELTS of 6.5 with no band less than 6.0)
- at the completion of EAP training, candidates must achieve a minimum score of IELTS 6.0 for Australia Awards Scholarships office to commence the application process for placement in a university program in Australia
- receive a letter of acceptance from an Australian university
- meet Australian immigration requirements for a student visa
- receive Government of Indonesia endorsement
- be medically fit to commence studies in Australia.
In Australia, scholarship recipients must:
- abide by the conditions of the scholarship and the rules of Australian tertiary institutions
- abide by the rules and regulations governing a student visa
- act in a way that will not bring disrepute to DFAT, or to any Australian university or to Indonesia
In addition, scholarship recipients must
- gain support from DFAT if seeking to return to Australia within the two-year exclusion period for anything other than a short term visa for up to three months. Visa applications for short-term visits do not require DFAT’s approval
- return to Indonesia for a period equivalent of twice the length of the study period in Australia, before re-entering Australia on another Government of Australia funded scholarship
- if during the two years exclusion period the scholarship recipients return to Australia, a debt to the Commonwealth may be activated OR any time spent in Australia may be added to the two year exclusion period.