Type and Number of Awards
Australia Awards Scholarships in Indonesia is available for the following types of courses:
- Master degree courses
- Doctorate degree (PhD) programs
Master Degree Courses
- The maximum duration for a Master degree program is two years.
- Master degree programs may be offered by coursework, by research or by a combination of coursework and research. Masters by research or a combination of coursework and research should be offered only to those applicants who have demonstrated the need for high level research skills in order to undertake research or teaching or to supervise researchers upon their return home.
- Double Master degrees are permitted only when both are included in the institution's original offer and both courses can be completed within two years.
- Applicants wishing to undertake a Masters by research must investigate an appropriate supervisor. Australian higher education institutions’ websites identify the institution’s areas of research strength. Applicants should supply evidence of past research undertaken and highlight outcomes.
Doctorate Degree (PhD) Program
- The maximum duration for a PhD is four years.
- Study at doctorate level (PhD) may be subject to partner government approval. Normally, approval is given only where the applicant occupies, or is expected to occupy, a senior position requiring individual research or the supervision and training of other researchers in a research organisation (e.g. university or research centre) in the applicant’s home country.
In the 2013/2014 Australia Awards Scholarships application round, awards will be offered for commencement in 2014/2015 with the following allocation:
- Up to 70% of awards will be offered to applicants from the Targeted Category including up to 30% of this number from AusAID Geographic Focus Areas
- At least 30% of awards will be offered to applicants from the Non-Targeted Category,
- 85% of awards at Masters level and up to 15% of awards at Doctorate (PhD) level. (NB doctoral level study is only open to staff of universities, higher education institutions, research institute, key policy makers and targeted candidates in other organizations associated with AusAID activities).
- an equal number of awards will be offered to men and women.
Length of Study and Course Options
Scholarships will be available for full-time study of an Australian post-graduate qualification for the minimum period required to complete the award through the relevant Australian university, selected from AusAID contracted universities.